Every kid dreams of winning an Academy Award. Or at least I did. I had my acceptance speech already memorized for my moment in the sun. I’d thank my family, my teachers, my cast mates, my producer, my director, my director’s mother, my director’s mother’s mailman’s brother’s uncle’s tailor’s, hair stylist.
You get the picture.
But then something cruel happened to those childhood dreams. I grew up. I graduated high school and followed the path that led me away from the red carpet and pushed me towards that harsh world called “Reality”. I earned a degree, then looked for a job. I got married, then looked for a better paying job. I had a daughter, then looked for an even better paying job. All the while, I lived my life, with the prospect of winning the Academy Award, or any award for that matter, becoming a faded, distant memory as each day passed by.
That is, until I started a blog.
I have always enjoyed writing, and have been fortunate to actually receive a salary for honing my craft. Yet, still no statuette for me. My award comes in the form of a paycheck, which provides the reason for me to keep doing what I do, day in and day out.
That is, until I started a blog.
My blog gives me exclusive access to write whatever I want to write. My blog creates a “no editor” zone where the only person who had permission to change my words is…..you guessed it, me!
I did not start a blog for financial reward, rather the emotional reward that comes with every compliment from a satisfied reader. So on Sunday, when I logged onto my blog and saw a comment from fellow blogger Cindy Brown, I blinked in disbelief, read the comment out loud to my husband Bob, and felt myself swelling with pride. Seems Cindy had nominated me for The Kreativ Blogger Award, a wonderful pay it forward program amongst bloggers that sends the simple yet rewarding message: “Your work is good and it is worth sharing with others!” Red carpet here I come!
Thank you Cindy Brown, author of an incredibly funny blog called Everyday Underwear - http://www.everydayunderwear.com/
As part of being nominated, I am instructed to share seven things about myself that my readers might find interesting. So here goes:
1. My all time favorite movie is The Sound of Music. I have seen it so many times I can probably recite all of the dialogue. And the songs, don’t get me started on the songs… Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens bright copper….oh sorry, I’m getting carried away. Time to move on.
2. I really enjoy the Harry Potter book series. Alright, I admit it, enjoy is not a strong enough word, obsessed and fanatical are probably more appropriate. I’m not sure why I have embraced all things Potter, although some reasons are obvious. It’s a classic story of good versus evil, the story of love, friendship, and an underdog kicking some serious wizard butt. However, it goes beyond that. The brilliant writing of J.K. Rowling is why I have read the books countless times. Just as my husband watches replays of hockey games to admire the athletes’ technique, I re-read Harry Potter to admire Ms. Rowling style. Yes, I am obsessed, but I’m happy about it!
3. I hope that the United States of America will have a female president before I die. Nuff said!
4. I am unable to keep a box of Quaker Oat Squares cereal in my house, it will be gone in 24 hours.
5. I grew up as the dreaded and tragic “Jan Brady” in my family. Wedged between my older sister Bev and younger brother Steven.
6. My favorite band is The Beatles, and, at the age of 16, my friend Wendy and I once created a cassette tape full of well wishes for Paul McCartney, and actually stood in line at the post office and mailed it to him. I truly believe to this day the old man behind the counter thought we were nuts….and we were. I wonder if Sir Paul ever received our tape. I’m sure it’s sitting in his house, prominently displayed among all of his many awards!
And finally that brings us to number….
7. My family is my life, my world, my everything. I have been so blessed to have a husband who loves me for who I am, accepts everything about me, and seriously doesn’t mind that I spend more time online than with him. My inherited daughter Jessica, 16 when we met, made me an “instamom” and I’ll be forever grateful to her for her tolerance, patience, and welcoming arms. After 18 years, she remains my beautiful love and joy! And then there’s my 14-year old love of my life Melissa, who has made me the happiest, proudest mom in the world! I’d jump in front of a train for her, but it won’t get her out of changing the kitty litter!! Bob, Jessica, and Melissa, I love you!
The next part of this wonderful award is I get to pay it forward. So now I, Lisa Weinstein, nominate the following bloggers for the Kreativ Blogger Award. Check out their blogs, and enjoy!
1. The Betty and Boo Chronicleshttp://bettyboochronicles.blogspot.com/
2. Shenk it Uphttp://shenkitup.com/
3. My Dishwasher’s Possessedhttp://mydishwasherspossessed.blogspot.com
4. A Wide Linehttp://live-by-rule2.blogspot.com/
5. A Writer Weaves a Talehttp://sandrasfiberworks.blogspot.com/
6. Spilled Milkshakehttp://spilledmilkshake.com/
7. Twelve Makes a Dozenhttp://twelvemakesadozen.blogspot.com/
"Like" my blog's Facebook page by clicking the link at the top right side of this blog!
Comments and feedback are encouraged and welcome. For some reason, many people have told me they have left a comment, but it has not appeared. To leave a comment, click on the arrow next to "comment as", then choose "anonymous". If you would like to include your name, please leave your name in the body of your post. Once you have posted your comment and chosen anonymous, then hit publish. Check the page the make sure your comment appeared. You can also "Like" my blog's Facebook page and comment there - like button is on the upper right side of this page.
Work that red carpet, girl! Congratulations again and like I said - keep writing!ReplyDelete
Thank you so much for your kind words Cindy!!ReplyDelete
Thank you so much for the award, you're a sweetheart, really! I'll get to work on it before I have to pick up kids!ReplyDelete
Thank you so much Lisa!! I love getting shout outs, they always make my day! I also love to see what other blogs people pick, a few are my favs too, but there are a few I have not had the pleasure to read yet, so I look forward to finding some new great reads!!ReplyDelete
Reading your answers was so much fun! I also attempted an acting career but decided I liked to eat too much. I also believe we will see a great, accomplished woman in the White House as the Chief Executive! And, well, the Beatles! I have always loved them, in fact Here, There and Everywhere was our wedding song. But, I have given birth to the biggest fan on the planet. Tom and my husband went to see Paul McCartney when he played at Yankee Stadium over the summer. He was besides himself!!!!
Thanks again!!! xo
You're so awesome! Thank you for the shout-out! I will have to work on this, this week! I don't normally do those blog award things, but I'll have to make an exception for you...how could I not! Thanks again, Lisa! Love your blog.ReplyDelete
Thanks Nate - I love your blog too!Delete
Thanks so much for this award, Lisa. You totally made may day! No, wait, make that my week! I love your answers above. #7 is so sweet and full of love, and I'm right there with ya on #3. Yeah! And I also love your 3rd referral. Isn't Kathy wonderful. Thanks again, my dear bloggy friend. I feel so blessed to know and read you. *hugs*ReplyDelete